COMING THIS WINTER: The ICE
Coming This Winter
The ICE at Discovery Green uses recycled water from Kinder Lake to create a 7,716 square-foot ice skating surface, making it the largest outdoor skating rink in the Southwest. The ICE at Discovery Green hosts a variety of Winter programming during the winter season, November through early February.
ICE Rink Admission: NOW CLOSED
- $13 includes skate rental and tax. Skating time limited to 1.5 hours all school holidays and weekends. A portion of tickets sales goes to support Discovery Green Conservancy's free year-round programming. Tickets are available for purchase in-person at the ICE.
- $25 Speed Pass includes priority entrance, skate rental and tax. Speed Pass tickets are available for purchase online only.
Wheelchairs on ICE
If you are a non-motorized wheelchair user, you are welcome to enjoy the rink in your own wheelchair. You must be accompanied by a responsible adult at all times while on The ICE. Motorized wheelchairs are not permitted on The ICE. Admission for the wheelchair user is free, admission for the accompanying adult is $13 includes skate rental and tax. Skating time limited to 1.5 hours all school holidays and weekends. A portion of tickets sales goes to support Discovery Green Conservancy's free year-round programming. Tickets are available for purchase in-person at the ICE.
Hours of Operation
- Friday, Saturday, School Holidays*: 11 am - 11 pm
- Monday - Thursday: 4 - 10 pm
- Sunday: 11 am - 8 pm
- Christmas Eve: 11 am - 7 pm
- Christmas Day: 1 - 10 pm
- New Year's Eve: 11 am - 8 pm
- New Year's Day: 1 - 10 pm
- Martin Luther King Day, Jan. 19: 4 pm - 11 pm
The ice rink may be closed at times due to weather conditions, such as heat, lightning or rain. On very warm days, the rink may open late so that the ice may be covered until 3:30 pm. We apologize for any inconvenience. Weather updates can be found on our website or call 713-434-RINK (7465) for more information.
Weekly Events at The ICE
- MONDAY: Cheap Skate Nights, 4-10 pm and Jazz on ICE, 7-9 pm
- TUESDAY: Two Step Tuesdays, 6-10 pm (Line dancing lessons, 7-8 pm)
- WEDNESDAY: Latin Nights on ICE, 6-10 pm (Zumba 6:30 - 7:30 pm)
- THURSDAY: Hot Nights on ICE, 7-10 pm (Karaoke from 8-9 pm)
- FRIDAY: Bank of America Friday Night Flicks, 7:30 pm
- SUNDAY: Houston Skating Stars demonstrations, 6-6:15 pm
Special Events at The ICE
Rainbow on ICE - The annual city-wide GLBT celebration at Discovery Green heads to the ICE for the ultimate dance party with electrifying entertainment! NEW DATE: Thursday, January 8, 7-10 pm.
Discovery Green Flea - Vendors selling vintage clothing, antiques, jewelry and more! NEW DATE: Saturday, January 24, 11 am - 5 pm.
FROSTIVAL! - An ICE smack down with four nationally renowned Ice carvers including Reverend Butter and the DLG Ice Factory. Includes skating demos, ice sculptures, ice ping-pong table, an ice graffiti wall, ice throne for pictures, snowball fights, live music and the ArtX Art Car glow procession. Sunday, February 8, 4-8 pm.
Bringing a group? The ICE is perfect for church groups, daycare and school field trips, scout outings, birthdays, and company parties. Advance reservations are required. Party tables are available for rent.
Learn a lifetime sport! One-on-one instruction is available. Advance reservations are required.
Ice Rink EventsIce Rink Events, a Houston-based designer, manufacturer, installer, and operator of ice rinks around the globe, transforms Kinder Lake’s model boat basin into a holiday skating destination each winter season at the park. The expanded rink uses equipment that runs on renewable energy and even the ice rink border is made from recycled plastic materials.
To learn more about the ICE, click here.