Application for Operations Crew Position
Job Title: Operations Crew
Work location: Discovery Green, 1500 McKinney, Houston, TX 77010
Reports to: Site Manager
Department Information: The Operations Team is tasked with maintaining the park grounds and facilities at the highest level of quality and safety possible and supports the Programming Team with event services.
Pay Type: Hourly, Non-Exempt, Full Time, 40 hours/week
Pay Rate: to be determined; reviewed annually
Benefits: Group Medical and Dental Insurance, Life and Long Term Disability Insurance, Pension Plan, Flexible Compensation Plan (Section 125 Cafeteria Plan), Paid Time Off, Holiday Pay, Parking Allowance
Work Schedule: to be determined, with required weekends, evenings and holidays; candidate must be prepared and willing to work whenever scheduled Monday through Sunday. This position has a flexible schedule that will change weekly.
Examples of Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Landscape management:
- Landscape by planting flowers, grass, shrubs and bushes.
- Cut down tree limbs that are posing a danger.
- Trim shrubs and pull weeds.
- Rake, mulch, and prune the grounds as assigned.
- Clean restrooms.
- Pick up trash.
- Empty trash and recycling bins.
- Arrange deck furniture.
- Inspect and/or repair play equipment at frequent intervals.
- Assist with building maintenance and repairs.
- Assist with programming events
- Install/break down for events, including tents, fences, stanchions.
- Set up portable sound system for exercise classes.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• High school/GED degree preferred.
• Janitorial and/or landscaping experience, especially in a park, a plus.
• Must be able to work within a strong team environment, following directions and completing assigned tasks.
• Must be able to work under pressure and remain calm and courteous.
• Basic knowledge and experience with electrical and plumbing a plus.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand for long periods of time; walk; use hands to grasp, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop; kneel; crouch; or crawl; and talk; or hear. This work is outdoors in all weather, including extreme heat and cold.
• The employee must frequently lift and/or move more than 50 pounds.
• The employee must be able to climb ladders and trusses.
• The employee must be able to work in the lake, in a boat as well as in waders.
The Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, creed, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, genetic information, handicap, or status as a disabled and/or Vietnam Era veteran.
Discovery Green Benefits
Insurance coverage is effective the first of the month following an introductory period. Several programs are available to full-time employees, including:
• Medical Insurance: Employee and dependent coverage available, 60-day waiting period
• Dental Insurance: Employee and dependent coverage available, 90-day waiting period
• Life Insurance & AD&D: Employee coverage at no cost to the employee, 90-day waiting period
• Long Term Disability: Employee coverage at no cost to the employee, 90-day waiting period
• Voluntary Life and Short Term Disability: Coverage available at a group rate through payroll deduction, 90-day waiting period
The Conservancy provides a generous schedule for time off for full-time employees under the following leave categories. Leave banks have maximum accrual rates and are adjusted as the employee gains tenure.
• Annual or Vacation Leave: Employees accrue 8 hours per month, available beginning the first of the month following the 90-day waiting period.
• Administrative or Personal Leave: Employees accrue 8 hours per month for sick leave and other personal issues outlined in the employee manual, available beginning the first of the month following the 90-day waiting period.
• Holidays: Employees receive 9 paid holidays per year.
• Employees receive a transportation allowance to help offset the expense of traveling to and parking downtown.
• Employees may participate in the Discovery Green Conservancy 401k retirement plan which has an employer matching contribution up to 6% after one year of service.
Fill out my online form.